How I got started in art

When someone suggested that I try painting, I had no interest in it, after all I was a trained musician with a degree. That was my bag, not art. That suggestion was a seed in my brain which after a while grew into curiosity. So, several months later I decided to try painting to see how it went.

I went to my local Walmart, picked up a few bottles of matte finish paints that cost me 50 cents each and one canvas board for a few bucks if that. It cost me around 5 bucks to see if I was any good and if I wanted to do more. The paints were AppleBarrel, a pour on type paint. I was going to do an abstract piece of art.

I needed a spray bottle with water and paper towels to go underneath my canvas board in-case things got a bit messy. The paper towels would soak up any spilled paints. I laid down my canvas board on top of the paper towels and then began pouring a little paint on top of each layer so I would have 4 layers. I needed to mix the paints a little so I took a piece of wire I had laying around and made a little loop at one end That's the end I was going to use to mix my paints. I swirled the wire in the paint a bit and then tried manipulating the canvas board so that the paint would run down towards the middle and the edges. It was pretty slow going until I sprayed a little water on it. It moved pretty nicely around until my entire board was covered with paint.

There were some pretty cool swirls, lines etc. on my canvas and the outcome was awesome. I let the paint dry totally and them moved the painting off the paper towels. Clean up was a piece of cake as all I had to do was to throw away the paper towels. Here's how it ended up.

painting using pour on method
I was thrilled how it came out and decided that I wanted to do more. That was a start and now have close to a thousand paintings. I've used oils and acrylics. I've painted pets, wildlife, portraits, landscapes, seascapes, flowers, just about everything there is to paint.

To get started on the landscapes, I watched Bob Ross on YouTube just to get an idea of one technique. After a while I got my own style.

Here's a painting of a kitty I did using acrylics later.






Comments

Popular Posts